Whether you are looking to build a solid plan around your personal retirement and legacy goals, maximize your earnings or increase shareholder value in your company, BV Group can provide the clarity, discipline and financial insight you need to tackle your most complex wealth challenges.
As former practicing CPAs and seasoned Private Wealth Advisors, we have worked closely with sophisticated families, senior executives and professional athletes for more than 25 years. Our experienced team of Certified Financial Planner™ professionals and Certified Investment Management Analysts® offers financial planning and accounting, wealth creation and preservation strategies in every type of market environment.
We have the hands-on experience, specialized skill set and dedicated resources to deliver the right opportunities for helping to grow and protect your financial success, and it all starts with a conversation.
Michael Bober and Ed Ventrice are recognized industry leaders
- Forbes Best-In-State Wealth Advisors, 2018
- Mike and Ed are nationally recognized in Barron’s Top 1,200 Financial Advisors (2017, 2015, 2014)
- Founders of BV Group with 26 years wealth management experience
- Formerly practicing CPAs with the CFP® designation and CIMA® designation awarded through the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- Over $1.8 billion in assets under advisement
Comprehensive wealth management
Because the success you’ve achieved over a lifetime represents more than money, our recommendations will always strive to help protect your family and the legacy you choose to leave behind.
At BV Group, our approach starts with a customized plan
We’ll talk about priorities and your personal definition of financial security, risk and growth. This information helps us a design a road map that looks beyond investing to pursue your goals across each area of your financial life. It helps us anticipate potential issues that can derail our strategy. A plan can turn overwhelming obstacles into manageable objectives.
We work alongside you and your tax and legal advisors to ensure your plan is tailored to your wishes and executed with efficiency, competence and transparency.
BV Group is dedicated to providing comprehensive wealth management advice to a select group of clients and their families. We can provide:
- Tailored investment strategies, sophisticated quantitative analysis, consolidated reporting and family education programs
- Global thought leadership with extensive corporate resources combined with dedicated service, accessibility and a proactive approach offers you the best of both worlds
The same hard work and dedication you’ve put into building a lifetime of achievements, we promise to put into managing your investments.
Services for executives and business owners
To be a leader in business, it takes strategic vision and a disciplined process to reach your goals. BV Group applies the same approach to help executives and business owners enhance their company’s success, while also helping to ensure they receive the maximum benefit from the wealth they’ve created.
Navigating executive wealth
We’ve worked with many high-level decision-makers over the years who have relied on our experience in managing the fine points of various retirement plan benefits, executive stock options, deferred compensation plans and other executive compensation packages.
We have the insight and experience to serve as your “personal CFO” who will:
- Clarify your goals and priorities
- Assess company stock positions, model “what if” scenarios for feasibility and help reduce risk through diversification
- Integrate financial advice that is personal and confidential
- Execute your strategy, including the full coordination of your company benefits
- Serve as your sounding board for any financial questions
Adding value for your company and your shareholders
While you focus on the demands of your business, we will focus on:
- Aligning your interests with those of the company and its shareholders
- Enhancing the value of the corporate benefit programs by ensuring executives understand, appreciate and maximize benefits and compensation plans
- Helping you incent and retain key executives with high-value benefit and compensation plans
The same hard work and dedication you’ve put into building your business, we promise to put into managing your investments.
Planning insight for professional athletes
BV Group has been working with professional athletes for over 24 years and with a former athlete on the team, we are aware of the challenges you may be facing. The spotlight is exhilarating but the consequences of success can be great—both personally and financially. How are you preparing for it?
Power your success with a well-thought-out plan
For baseball players and other professional athletes, there is no such thing as a “regular” income stream. Because your career window can be relatively short, you need the right advice to help you protect the success you’ve achieved. Our team has earned the trust and confidence of many renowned athletes for one reason: they value our honesty, our integrity and our persistence in getting the job done and getting it done well.
With more than two decades working with professional athletes, including 50 Major League Baseball players and over 30 former first-round draft picks as our clients, you can count on our experience and advice to help you set meaningful goals and make informed decisions.
The same hard work and dedication you’ve put into your performance on the field, we promise to put into managing your investments.
To make the right choices, you need to ask the right questions. And when it comes to answering the financial ones, we can help. Read more about how we did it.
1. Retiree case study: How can I bring order to my estate?
Structuring an estate plan to benefit your blended family and charity
Our 75-year-old client was experiencing complete financial disorganization. He was in a second marriage with two sets of children. He had also had significant philanthropic endeavors. But he had no cohesive estate plan that addressed all his priorities and accumulated wealth. Because of our team’s ability for bringing focus and clarity to complex and sophisticated estate plans, he was referred to us for help in putting his personal and financial life in order.
Together we found an answer
We served as “financial quarterback” for our client to align all of his needs, including:
- Creating an estate planning strategy to support his long-term goals and the success of the family and foundation
- Coordinating with our philanthropic consultant who brought his “blended” family together on the issues
- Introducing a charitable foundation to which he could leave the bulk of his assets and reduce estate taxes
- Building a collaborative team of specialists—estate planning attorney, insurance agent, trust officer to advise him on all aspects of estate planning
We eliminated estate taxes while providing a plan that will continue on—even after our client’s passing. Our investment plan provides consistent returns with less risk.
In terms of his stress about the future, we continue to serve as our client’s sounding board for concerns and many of his life questions. He truly trusts our advice about putting challenges in perspective and adapting to change without worry.
2. Executive/business owner case study: How do I fund my next venture?
Transitioning from the sale of a business into a new life
Our client, the founder and CEO of his company, wanted to build an investment and family corporate structure to maximize his wealth and minimize income and estate taxes. Selling his business was the first step. But post-sale, he was not sure if he would have enough “conservative” assets to fund his future as well as the necessary “risk” assets to invest in new deals.
Together we found an answer
He was referred to us by his CPA and attorney. This was a collaborative effort that we organized into stages:
- Presale corporate structuring. We proposed a GRAT—Grantor Retained Annuity Trust and a private family foundation.
- Post-sale tax planning. We proposed a combination of a fixed- and variable-rate securities backed loan to pay for a portion of the capital gains tax bill from the sale.
- Post-sale estate planning. Our planning group reviewed his complex estate plan and made recommendations.
- Post-sale investment structuring. We proposed tax-free municipal bonds, ETFs and stocks. He was new to significant wealth so we invested slowly over a 12- to 18-month period.
- Ongoing investment management and monitoring. Over time, we introduced new opportunities from private equity to real estate. We continue to provide performance, income and risk vs. reward guidance.
Our coordinated planning helped him save on taxes and realize his charitable dreams and interests through his family foundation. We’ve simplified his corporate structure and trust documents so that he and his family fully understand their finances. Finally, he has a foundation of conservative investments, insurance coverage, asset protection from creditors and enough to invest in new private companies that look attractive to him.
3. Case study: professional athlete
Helping professional athletes create a lifelong wealth plan
Our client, a professional baseball player, had enjoyed a “celebrity lifestyle” for many years and was on the back end of a guaranteed contract. He had nagging concerns about the future that needed attention, but he was surrounded by people who were not effectively helping him. He had no cohesive plan, had not saved enough for the future and was destined to run out of money at a very early age. In essence, he did not have the right team in place to address the real problems—lack of planning, overspending and incomplete advice.
Together we found an answer
Through education and transparent conversations, our team helped him:
- Clarify and prioritize goals
- Build a collaborative team to advise him on all aspects of his financial life. In addition to our team, we included a CPA, real estate specialist to assess holdings, a lender to consolidate debt and business manager to track spending
Giving up control was an important concern for our client. But we involved him every step of the way. Together, we created a detailed plan of action—a “road map for success”—for the next 24 months.
Our plan covered:
- Savings. Save 35% of his salary over the next three years.
- Homes. Sell two homes immediately. Hold third home until market improved.
- Debt. Pay down loan on primary residence and then refinance at a lower rate.
- Spending. Sell two cars, boat, reduce family spending over two years.
Our plan was successful. Our client is now “set” for life, and can also help other family members and give back to the community. Without the financial stress and weight on his shoulders, our client’s performance on the field improved. He is our client for life and continues to refer us to his contacts—teammates, attorneys and business management professionals.