When you have created or inherited substantial wealth, you face daily decisions about your immediate needs, your longer-term goals and aspirations for future generations. From business to finance to family, you have possibilities limited only by your own imagination, courage and determination.
As Private Wealth Advisors and Family Office Consultants, we offer the access, perspective and, importantly, the passion to help our clients pursue what is possible today and for generations to come. Our deep history with multigenerational families, entrepreneurs, senior executives and family offices means we have the experience you need to unlock opportunities, preserve wealth and create continuity.
Get a clear view of your wealth
Recognized for making a real impact in the lives of our clients
Freides Kanigher Westerman Group
- Forbes Best-In-State Wealth Advisors, CA, 2019–2021 (#4)
- Forbes Top 100 Wealth Advisors, 2019 (#41)
- Forbes/SHOOK America’s Top Wealth Advisors, 2016 – 2018
- Barron’s Top 100 Financial Advisors, 2015 – 2020 (#61)
- Barron’s Top 1,200 Financial Advisors, 2015 – 2020 (#20)
- Barron’s Top 1,000 Financial Advisors, 2013
- Financial Times Top 400 Financial Advisor, 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020
- Forbes Best-In-State Wealth Advisors, CA, 2019 –2021 (#10)
- Forbes/SHOOK America’s Top Wealth Advisors, 2016 – 2018
- Forbes Top 200 Wealth Advisors, 2016
- Forbes Top 250 Wealth Advisors, 2017, 2018, 2019 (#163)
- Barron’s Top 1,200 Financial Advisors, 2014 – 2020 (#35)
The value of Family Office Consultants
Drew Freides, Michael Kanigher and Steven Westerman are among a select group of Private Wealth Advisors who have earned the Family Office Consultant (FOC) business designation. Understanding the complexities of intergenerational wealth and the associated challenges, FOCs align specific needs to the full suite of UBS capabilities, managing the investment, business, passion and legacy needs their clients face.
The Freides Kanigher Westerman Group in the media
Who we are
“Whether we’re helping you realize your dream because you have retired or sold your business, are pursuing a new business venture, exploring a philanthropic passion or we’re assisting you in the education of your children about future financial responsibility, our team has the insight, resources and broad access you need across the firm and around the globe.”
— Drew Freides
What we do
“We are laser-focused on helping to ensure that the wealth you have created best serves you and those you care about most, today and for generations to come.”
— Michael Kanigher
Clients count on us to work directly with their accountants, estate attorneys, insurance professionals and a wide range of UBS banking and investment specialists. We incorporate all perspectives into one integrated approach.
A comprehensive experience for each generation
We seamlessly integrate comprehensive wealth management with institutional-level investment solutions for a comprehensive experience. Our team understands the dynamics of families working together to make important life decisions. Working with the UBS Global Family Office and Family Advisory and Philanthropy Services groups, we can help bridge generations to offer advice on family decision-making, business transition, wealth transfer and family office governance. Collaborating with our Family Office Solutions Group, we bring the best of UBS insights and expertise to our clients—helping them explore highly bespoke opportunities for growth, capital preservation and wealth transition.
Understanding the full cycle of business needs
We address the full cycle of business needs from strategic business financing to succession and exit strategies to post-liquidity planning. Whether you’re building capital and growing your business, selling your company, looking to manage existing liquid assets or transferring wealth, we have a honed process for helping you make smart, informed financial decisions.
Prior to the transaction, we help you develop a personalized strategy to maximize the value of this event so you can confidently pursue your life goals post-sale.
Post-liquidity wealth management
To help inform our recommendations about deal structure, valuation opportunities and tax considerations, we’ll coordinate with our network of both third-party and UBS.
Building relationships with founders and senior executives
With complicated equity award packages—as well as potentially complex tax consequences—executives and other insiders need specialized advice. Our team has deep experience providing integrated financial guidance for company founders, public and private executives and business owners.
- Impact of stock options (ISOs, NQSOs), RSUs, Founders Stock and QSBS
- Restricted stock sales, 10b5-1, Section 16
- Pre-IPO planning
- M & A planning
- 401(k) benefit and compensation plan management
- Income and estate tax planning and strategies
- Concentrated stock management and diversification
How we help
“We play key roles in the lives of our clients. We stay in touch and on top of clients’ needs for themselves, their children and grandchildren.”
— Steven Westerman
Our team has the training, access and understanding of complex wealth and the individuals and families who create it, inherit it and pass it on. They count on us for comprehensive planning, credit and liability management, education planning and wealth transfer strategies.
Institution-level solutions for individual clients
By listening and aligning with your objectives, we focus on asset allocation strategies that are designed to allow for sensible growth and help mitigate risk.
- Multi-step investment process
- Tailored asset allocation
- Global private equity and private real estate
- Management of illiquid, concentrated positions
- Investment advisory responsibility
Estate planning and philanthropic strategies
Helping your wealth create greater impact
We help ensure your assets are preserved and transferred to future generations and charitable organizations in a tax-efficient manner. Collaborating with your tax and legal specialists, we’ll help you pursue your specific estate planning and charitable giving goals.
- Pre-transaction planning
- Liability management
- Tax liability minimization
- Wealth transfer strategies and vehicles
- Charitable giving strategies
- Educating each generation. Shaping your multigenerational legacy
Educating each generation
Shaping your multigenerational legacy
Attuned to preserving the financial independence of your entire family, we can help structure a deliberate and meaningful family legacy and direct capital to reflect your values.
- Financial literacy program
- Access to exclusive UBS events, including the Young Successors Program and Philanthropy Forum
- Business succession planning
- Family foundation considerations, set-up and supervision
- Advisory services for real estate, art collections, aircraft, hedge fund portfolios and more
Liquidity. Longevity. Legacy.
Our approach can help you organize your financial life into three key dimensions: Liquidity—to help provide cash flow for short-term expenses, Longevity—for longer-term needs and Legacy—for needs that go beyond your own. Through the plan we create together, we can help you pursue what matters most today, tomorrow and for generations to come.