“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort and intelligent execution.”
For over 25 years, UBS Institutional Consulting Team in Menlo Park has been providing trusted advice to the investment committees and governing bodies of diverse not-for-profit organizations, retirement plans and individual investors. Our team understands the unique issues they face and we take a comprehensive approach to helping clients—hospitals and healthcare entities, faith-based organizations, foundations and endowments, as well as retirement plans—efficiently meet their fiduciary responsibilities and investment goals. They value our planning process, experience, investment approach and commitment to their long-term financial success.
Accessing the deep global resources of UBS, one of the world’s preeminent wealth management firms, our team is also well-positioned to provide the insight and solutions our clients require to address their needs and pursue their organization’s goals. Our philosophy is straightforward: to deliver customized, proactive consulting advice on a continuous basis—with outstanding dedication to client service. This enables our clients to make more informed decisions about assets under their stewardship.
Not-for-profit consulting services
Not-for-profit organizations can have a number of financial challenges. We are collaborative problem-solvers who take the time to fully understand your unique financial situation, and we have the experience and dedication to customize the right solution for your organization.
Our team follows a thorough discovery process that helps us design the right program for your needs. By accessing the depth of UBS’s global resources, intellectual capital and open-architecture mix of independent managers and funds, we bring the best insights, practices and ideas to our clients.
Our institutional services include:
Asset allocation review
- Asset allocation studies
- Asset and liability analysis
- Spending policy evaluation and formulation
- Strategic rebalancing and tactical positioning
Investment policy development and review
- Discuss portfolio objectives and tolerance for risk (volatility)
- Incorporate organizational values (i.e., sustainable investing)
- Understand time horizon, projected cash flows and spending policy
- Reflect governance structure and responsibilities
Investment manager and fund evaluation
- Due diligence collaboration with UBS Investment Manager Research
- Identification of appropriate and complementary investment managers and funds
- Cost analyses
Ongoing consulting and performance measurement
- Customized reports based on client preferences
- Trustee and fiduciary education
- Philanthropic services
- Custody and trust services
- Coordination with other service providers (legal, accounting, etc.)
The benefits of working with our team
- Customized advisory services for assets held at UBS or assets held away
- Attentive service from senior professionals with decades of experience advising not-for-profit clients and retirement plans
- Objective investment advice. Our compensation structure is not determined by the investments you select. To avoid conflict, we eliminate UBS managers and funds from consideration
- Our open-architecture platform supports unbiased recommendations from a range of investments, including investment managers, mutual funds, ETFs, alternative investments, structured investments and sustainable investing strategies
- Transparency of all fees and services
Retirement plan advisory services
In an ever-changing retirement landscape, how do you manage the growing complexity of your plan and increased governance over fees and investments, while still supporting the needs and goals of your participants?
With our deep resources, fiduciary experience and insight into the retirement plan industry, our team can work with you to address the unique objectives of your plan and guide you through a process to help make your plan stronger and your employees more confident about retirement.
Through UBS’ Retirement Plan Consulting Services program we’ll create a customized solution to help you manage plan complexity and provide the advice in four critical areas:
Fiduciary oversight. We deliver investment advice as an ERISA fiduciary and provide updates on fiduciary issues.
Plan design. We assist in the review of plan features to determine whether they are meeting your needs as well as those of your plan participants.
Investment review. We provide quarterly performance reviews of the plan and its investment options, highlighting funds that may not be meeting the criteria established in your Investment Policy. We will recommend fund replacements for your consideration, as warranted.
Plan fee analysis and benchmarking. We will analyze plan fees and expenses and compare them to appropriate metrics to give you not only a greater understanding of the cost of your plan, but whether these are reasonable given your plan’s features.
Private client services
Our institutional relationships give us invaluable perspective into the complex wealth advisory and planning challenges private clients and their families face today.
There is no shortage of information in the investment world today. Private clients engage us because they lack the resources, the time, the expertise and/or the desire to confidently navigate the markets alone. They seek more than information—they seek the guidance of a trusted and reliable advisor.
Many of our clients who initially come to us for our institutional insight also trust our knowledge and our planning process for helping them meet their personal wealth management goals.
Our comprehensive approach is personalized and transparent:
- Manage expectations with full disclosure of services and fees
- Assess both sides of your balance sheet
- Explore your goals, preferences and risk tolerance
- Recommend and provide a customized investment proposal
- Coordinate with our Advanced Planning specialists to review estate plans
- Consult with UBS lending specialists, when needed, to address appropriate debt solutions—from mortgages to securities backed lending
Menlo Park Team podcast library
Recently, Mike Scandalios sat down with our top thought leaders at the UBS studios in New York City to get their point of view on the markets, the global economy and how it all affects you. These 10-20 minute podcasts are perfect for your commute, at the gym or on the go. Access these on your smartphone, tablet or computer.
UBS Institutional Consulting - Menlo Park Team is proud to have been recognized as industry leaders
- Ranked in Barron’s “Top 100 Ranked in Barron’s Top 100 Institutional Consulting Teams” 2021